Saturday, March 14, 2015

Gabriel Olatunji-Legend: The Day I Smoked Weed

It was supposed to be a fast trip to the dreaded Alaba International market. I was working with a company that was into movie distribution and we needed to confirm the people who were selling our movies without permission. We toured the whole of the market, we were about four or five in number but thankfully we didn't get anyone who was doing that.

The next thing was for us to return to the office and give a report but I was with the 'boys' and they had to do what boys do - take some time to relax and enjoy life because if you die working for another man's success you are on your own (those were the beliefs most boys in turn have). Who was I to say No to relaxation and enjoyment? Little did I know that what I had always known as relaxation and enjoyment was not the same with the boys I was with.

The first spot we entered was bar cum motel, it was a place you could take a cold beer and then place an order for a woman if you liked. They had it all in that one place. Don't forget that I was a novice, I was the odd one out, I was the one who kept quiet while the 'boys' were using different terms to describe the woman's body and specie, and I was the one who don't drink and the 'boys' could not understand it. I remember ordering for a non-alcoholic energy drink just to look cool. You dare not order for a coke or fanta in such gathering.

I thought that was all but the 'boys' were not done yet, there was still a last round we had to go and I have never been able to forget that moment in my life. We left the bar and went farther into the reclusive area and walked on plank to cross a canal in a dustbin-like area where we saw faeces around. This wasn't a place anyone should be relaxing or having fun in but it was the place they could do what they wanted to do without the preview of the police or whatever they were hiding from. Before I knew what was happening, three of my guys had a smoke and it wasn't cigarette. Apparently, I got to know that that spot had the best of weed; if you take a full roll your life will never remain the same again.

My guys knew I wasn't into all that, they teased me back and forth and in other to sound cool I said "there's nothing there now - I just don't want to smoke". One of them then handed me his own and cajoled me to just take a sip (I hope this word is correct). I hesitated but he kept on the more and I collected it from him and a sip I took. I blew the smoke out as though I had been a heavy smoker all my life and handed it back to him but he said I must 'kiss the weed' the second time which I obliged again before he collected it from me.

As we left that place it occurred to me that it would only be a matter of time, if I continued with this company and I would forget who I was and become a totally different person. We become the company we keep. If you don't intend to eat faeces please stay away from dogs. Define your company; you are either forming better habits or bad habits as a result of the company you keep.


Cut ties with people who are not making you any better! Is this a good advice? Do let me know in the comment section below.


Tweet at me on @OlatunjiLEGEND

No comments:

Post a Comment